University Committee on Student Affairs (UCSA)
Friday, October 1, 2010
8:00 – 9:15 a.m.
Members Present: Kara Spencer, David Hodge, Kathy Petroni, Kyle Pressley, Caytlin Roy, Christopher Schotten, Steve Marino, Michael Ly, Michael Epstein, Stan Soffin, Denise Maybank, Lee June, Rick Shafer
1. Welcome and Introductions
2. Purpose of the Committee (Attachment)
3. Election of Chairperson and Secretary
1. Christopher Schotten was elected Chairperson
2. Steve Marino was elected Secretary
4. Approval of the Agenda
1. Approved (consent)
5. Approval of the Minutes
a. Approved (consent)
6. Selection of Meeting Dates
1. October 22, 2010 @ 8:30 – 9:45 a.m.
2. November 19, 2010 @ 8:30 – 9:45 a.m.
3. December 3, 2010 @ 8:30 – 9:45 a.m.
7. Possible Agenda Items
1. Code of Operations for Judicial Boards
a. SFB & Appeals Board codes are not finalized.
b. Online Training has been completed, but in-person training is underway.
c. Chris Schotten will be sending correspondence requesting a report October 22nd.
2. Gender Neutral Housing
a. Student Life will be meeting with RHA, ASMSU, COGS, and LGBTA in order to see what their respective stances are.
b. Student Life will also be inquiring what other schools are doing in regards to the issue. President Simon would like a recommendation by the end of the Fall semester.
3. Review of Anti-Discrimination Policy
4. Review of Sexual Assault Policy
5. State of Counseling Services
6. Student Experience
a. Topics to include 2020 Plan, Shaping the Future, and the Neighborhood Concept.
1. V.P. June will be stepping down in approximately 3 months.
2. Dr. Maybank stated that an abridged version of Spartan Life was distributed in place of the extensive version. The unabridged version is available online. Rick Shafer would like all UCSA members to view the online version and email any complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Rick Shafer stated that the Judicial Boards are having trouble filling vacancies due to restrictions such as graduate student requirements
4. Stan Soffin stated that there will be challenges to the current AFR structure in regards to differences between graduate and undergraduate students
5. Stan Soffin announced that he will be leaving in the 2011-2012 academic year
6. Kara Spencer recommended brainstorming ways to promote the AFR to the student body
1. Motion Petroni
2. Second Spencer
3. Approved at 9:04 a.m.